Looking at this bride in the picture and I know you hope to have same fulfilled smile on your big day. You can if you plan well.
So many brides to be keep asking me the necessary steps to take when planning their wedding. Trust me it is a normal thing to feel confused at a point especially when you are not work with a wedding planner.
Do you know what to do and when exactly you need to do them? Use the following list as a guide to help you get the right things done, in the appropriate order.
Print this guide out and “check off” all the items that you have completed to make things less stressful and more fun for you.
Six To Twelve (6 -12) Months Ahead
– Announce your engagement.
– Decide on what kind of wedding and the time of day. Choose a theme.
– Pick a date. Do this as soon as possible so that your bridal party and faraway family can begin making arrangements.
– Choose a location. Remember to take into consideration what the weather could be like on your wedding day. So keep an open mind.
– Set a budget.
– Start planning the reception. Secure a hall, hotel, lodge, or whatever suits you guys for your reception area.
– Select the bridal party. It is important to do this as soon as possible so these special people can set aside some time away from work to fulfill their duties and roles in your wedding.
– Secure registry dates, some like the churches require pre marriage counseling for a marriage to be allowed. So know what is needed
– Choose your colors. Your flowers, attire, decoration, and cake will reflect your choice. Always go for colors you love and feel comfortable with and not just what you see other wearing.
– Choose and order the bridal gown, bridesmaids’ gowns and accessories. Choose wisely and stay within your budget.
– Start planning the honeymoon. The groom often takes the lead on this, but it should be a spot you will both enjoy.
– Begin your bridal registry.
– Visit your favorite stores and choose items that you will need to start your life together.
– Select and order wedding invitations, programs and announcements.
– Select the caterer, photographer, decorator, florist, music and emcee.
– Choose and order the wedding rings.
Three Months Before
– Complete the guest list.
– Plan to have both mother select their dresses.
– Make reservations for the honeymoon. Remember to tell them that you will be newlyweds. You’ll be surprised at how many perks and giveaways you will get!
– Confirm the dates and times with the florist, caterer, photographer, musicians, and the church.
– Discuss transportation to and from the wedding and reception sites.
– Order the wedding cake.
– Meet with your decorator to choose a design and to discuss how you want your hall to look like.
– Choose and order the suits and tuxes
– Schedule the bridesmaid’s dress fittings. It is also a good time to choose the shoes if that is necessary.
– Place engagement announcement in the local newspaper (optional).
Two Months Before
– Prepare and mail the invitations.
– Get the marriage license.
– Finalize the honeymoon reservations.
– Make transportation arrangements
One Month Before
– Reserve accommodations for the guests.
– Record gifts received and send thank-you letters to each person. To avoid stress send the letters as the gifts arrive.
– Purchase the gifts for the bridal party. Brides often buy inexpensive earrings or necklaces that the bridesmaids can wear to the wedding. Popular choices for the groomsmen are money clips, key chains, or ball caps.
– Schedule the final fittings for the bride and bridesmaids.
– Get Wedding programs printed.
– Schedule appointments at beauty saloons for attendants, if needed.
– Purchase a guest book you can place it at the door of the church or wedding reception. Have someone stand nearby to invite guests to sign the book.
Two Weeks Before
– Arrange to have names changed on the driver’s license, social security, etc
– Finalize the number of guests with the caterer.
One Week Before
– Start packing for the honeymoon..
– Plan the seating arrangements for all guests.
– Have a beautician practice fixing your hair. You may also want do a trial makeup with your makeup artist.
– Make sure that the wedding rings are picked up and fit.
– Call all the vendors that are to render services to confirm deal and to remind them of previous agreements. If possible have a vendors meeting.
The “Big Day”!!!
Congratulations! You made it to your big day! The last thing to do is to just relax.. You’ve earned it and should enjoy your entire day!
Feel free to ask me let me know your concerns. Your question is my passion……… Onyeka.